In my little French village there is a small restaurant, it sells very simple but rustic food. Its very well known in the region for its Cuisses de Grenouilles (frogs legs) and its Gratin Dauphinois. I fell in love with the gratin and one day decided to ask for their recipe. I never imagined they’d tell me.They told me how to make it and what ingredients to use so I’ve played around with the recipe.
This is a very approximate recipe, I just do the amounts I think necessary.
crushed garlic (about 4 cloves)
- Slice the potatoes thinly, a mandolin is good here.
- Place the potatoes, few knobs of butter, salt, pepper, nutmeg and milk in a pan. Cook until it boils, then reduce the heat and kept stirring for approx. 8 mins
- Take off the heat, add crushed garlic and leave it all to cool but stir occasionally.
- Mix in the cream.
- Place into a buttered gratin dish
- Place a few knobs of butter over the top.
- Place in the oven for approx. 45-60 mins at 180c .
Note for AH & AL:
Make sure the gratin is quite liquid before you put it in the oven, if not it’ll dry up